If asked to describe myself, there are many words I could use. But the first one that comes to mind is horseperson. I'm a rider at my core, and horses are not just a hobby of mine--they are part of who I am. Maybe the largest part.

The purpose of this blog is not only to serve as a training log, but also as a tribute to my best friend.

13 August 2011


"this is the stuff that drives me crazy,
this is the stuff that's getting to me lately..."

I'm going to stop apologizing for lack of updates. Unfortunately, it's mostly due to lack of riding! The Bucs played their first preseason game at Kansas City on Friday night, so last week was a mess getting ready for that... on top of torrential downpours. We hardly ever get full days of rain in Florida (usually storms are fast and furious), but we had about three straight days of nothing but rain. It was ridiculous!

I was traveling with the team to the game, so I had arranged for Jody to ride Randy on Thursday and Friday for me. I felt pretty good about that plan, and was thankful that someone would be able to get some work in during the good weather while I was away.

Of course, you know what they say about the best laid plans.

Jody called me on Thursday as I was preparing to get on the bus to the airport and team plane to let me know that Randy had felt off. My heart dropped to my stomach. I am so nervous about Randy's soundness, sometimes I feel like I'm just waiting for something to happen to where he is forced to retire. I'm becoming paranoid as he ages!

I forced myself to stay calm and we decided that, since he was so due to be shod, perhaps that was the issue. The farrier was due to come on Friday, so Jody said she would come out to ride after Randy's feet were done and would let me know how that went.

I jetted off to KC, which is a story in itself, and heard from Jody as I was preparing to get dressed for the game.

She said Randy had been great, no feeling of not-quite-rightness and they had gotten in a great workout. I was so relieved, and it helped me to sit back and enjoy my duties at the game (sidenote: winning the game in a shut out, 25-0, also helps the enjoyment factor).

We arrived back in Tampa around 430 am on Saturday morning. I was in bed by 530, and for some reason naturally woke up at 8. So I decided that despite the lack of rest, I would go to the barn and get a jumping school in.

Fromt the first step of walk I knew something was wrong. Randy felt terrible--stiff, short-strided, in pain. He wasn't bobbing his head or pinning his ears, but his movement was so abnormal. After lunging and examining it really seems like it's something in his back or higher up than his hocks/stifles. Because he was fine for Jody just yesterday (and she has dealt with enough lame horses to pick up on subtle offness, so I completely trust that he was indeed sound for her on Friday), I can't imagine what is wrong, but you can guess how I feel now.

It's been a horrid day with all the worries.

For now, he will get a week off and will go on some bute to see how that makes him feel. I'm scheduling a chiropractor to come out, as well.

This is so not good, and I'm such a worrier for my boy, anyway... I definitely didn't need this. The one thing I have to keep reminding myself of is the second bit of the lyrics I posted at the top. While this IS the stuff that drives me crazy, the line continues and says, "in the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed."

Please let me remember that in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment