If asked to describe myself, there are many words I could use. But the first one that comes to mind is horseperson. I'm a rider at my core, and horses are not just a hobby of mine--they are part of who I am. Maybe the largest part.

The purpose of this blog is not only to serve as a training log, but also as a tribute to my best friend.

25 July 2011

aaaand we're back

"i think i am running 
just to catch myself."

Well, folks, are you ready for some football?

That's right. The NFL has finally resolved the ongoing labor dispute/lockout, and the new Collective Bargaining Agreement has been signed. This is great news for me, as someone making her living in the industry. Back when this whole thing was brewing on the horizon, my parents would joke with me about how I picked the worst possible time to be working in the NFL. But now it's settled, thank you god!

I can breathe again, and finally get excited about seeing our players again. I'm very much looking forward to the 2011 season.

But--there's always a but--this is where my riding is going to be challenged. 

My job demands time. A lot of time. There is very little free time, and you can think you're fine at 5 PM only to have something pop up that keeps you there til 9 or later. Now, I'm not complaining. I love my job and feel very blessed and lucky to be where I am. It's just going to be tricky to keep up my riding and keep Randy's fitness up.

Take today, for instance. I knew it would be busy because the deal was expected. But some crazy part of me still thought I'd get off in time to ride.

Nope.

I had plenty of work to do, and, because I enjoy my work, it doesn't bother me to stay late. But I do always feel a twinge of guilt when I don't get to go out to the barn. I know Randy is well cared for, but keeping the old boy in shape is important.

As Training Camp and the season begin, I will eventually work into more of a schedule. Right now I'm in the weird limbo between being used to riding nearly every day and now realizing I'm back to the busy on-season life.

Luckily for me, there is a college-aged girl at the barn who will ride Randy once a week for me doing our trot and gallop sets in exchange for using him in a lesson with my trainer (her trainer, as well). This means two days of busy weeks can easily be filled--and one with the endurance sets, which is the bread and butter of keeping an event horse conditioned.

I also have a friend whose flatwork I very much trust who can be convinced to go school some dressage once a week when needed.

Normally I wouldn't worry about the occasional workweek that ends with me only riding twice, but, if I'm going to get back into competition seriously, I can't afford that. So I plan on taking advantage of every bit of help I can!

Now I just hope it all works out as I have it planned in my head, because life is about to get busy. Really, really busy.


No comments:

Post a Comment